Android Marine Navigation App OS Requirement
Nautical Charts app is supported on all Android phones, tablets and laptops running OS 2.1 or higher. We support all Android phones and tablets from Samsung, HTC, Lenovo, LG, Asus, Motorola, , Casio and other Android device manufacturers. This includes support for Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Samusng Note, Samsung Galaxy devices incl. S5, Galaxy Tab, Droid, HTC one.
User Guide for Android Marine Navigation App
Marine Charts App on Google Play
- i-Boating Lite (Evaluation / Trial Version)
- i-Boating US
- i-Boating Canada & US
- i-Boating UK/Ireland
- i-Boating Germany
- i-Boating Netherlands/Holland
- i-Boating Europe Inland Rivers & Waterways
Available Navigation Options
This is the simplest form of route assistance. Auto Follow mode (aka the moving map) is accessible by tapping on the “Auto Follow” item from the menu/overflow button.
When turned on it does the following:
Continuously update device’s location on the chart.
- This is the standard moving map that shows device’s position on the chart
Real time track overlay of the course you have sailed so far.
- This shows the course you have already sailed in dark red/brown color. This gives you an idea of how you got to your current location.
Direction arrow showing a boat’s location if current course is maintained
- This is helpful to avoid any sailing hazards esp if you are sailing for fun and not following a pre-defined route.
Please note that the last two features listed above are in an update that has not yet been approved for some sales channels.
The screenshot below shows these in action.
- The yellow icon at the center is boat’s current location.
- Dark brown line is the course you’ve taken so far.
- The purple arrow shows where you will get if you stay on the current course.
Voice activated route assistance For Marine Navigation
The app supports quite a few way to import an existing route in the app. These are available as part of 'Route Manager'.
- Import an existing route in GPX/KML format using the 'Import Manager'
- Create new routes/edit existing routes.
To turn on voice activated route assistance do the following:
- Open chart, press menu and select "Route Manager"
- Select specific route, you want to follow and tap on "Follow Route"
Initially you would get a notification that says "Scan". Once the device locks to satellites, voice prompts would start.
Track distance to the next marker/way point
- When voice activated marine navigation is on, please watch the top status bar. It is continuously updated with distance to the next marker. You would also get voice prompts as you approach the marker.
Ensures that that you stay on route
- The app automatically keeps track that you are following the route accurately. If you go off route, you will be alerted with a voice prompt.
Ensures that you are sailing in right direction
- The app automatically make sure that you are sailing in the right direction. If you lose sense of direction and start sailing backwards, you would be automatically alerted by the app.